2007/02/21

SOLO RIDE PUNE TO HAMPI: PART I

I started from Pune on 15th Feb, at 07:15 hrs.

Ride Start: Pune City

I had planned to take a night halt at Belgaum, distance some 350 kms from Pune. The NH4 was a dream run, aided by some good speed by the ipod in my ears. All the way, 4/6 laner smooth highway. The bike cruised to 100 with great ease, on her own, with little throttle.

I got to 30 kms from Belgaum at about 13:30 hrs, averaging some 54 kms to the hour.
New Look Capt Nandu Chitnis

During the lunch break at a dhaba, I called Hitanshu, who advised me to press on to Hubli, better still Hampi. Loaded words, the full import of which I was too foolish to realise.

The IOC petrol pump was great place for a tank full of gas and I met some pretty pretty girls, who called me their "Fren"! Relax, said the pump man, let me take a pic..
Then on the highway...I met some pretty pretty girls

Cleared Hubli at around 5:30 pm and stopped on the highway near some obscure village for some directions and a pan vala told me just 100 kms to Hospet. Suddenly out of nowhere, some 30 odd kids surrounded my bike. I amused them by taking pics and showing them the results on the LCD screen. I took off one earplug and put it in kid’s ear, played a rocking song “Keep the Faith” at full volume. They were thrilled, some started to dance too. Bringing cheers and smiles to kids did wonders to refresh me and the tiredness vanished.
Happy kids....at a village near Hubli


I asked a paan vala distance to Hospet. He misguided me and said just a 100 kms to go. Actually Hospet was way out some 150 kms and a 22 kms to Hampi. This I had to ride on a two-laner highway, trafficky with zillions of trucks both ways.

Averaging some 30 kms to the hour, I was dog gone tired after 40 minutes of riding. Looked at the watch read 20:00 hrs…. stopped for tea. Made conversation with a local man who mistook my Avenger for a Harley soft tail. Believe me on the rural outbacks, the Avenger attracts people by the dozen. He asked me “You from America?” I replied, “Yes, if Pune is an America!”. He smiled. And offered to pay for my soda, lime and tea. Looked at the odo, read some 498 kms. God…498??????? Never been there, never done that. Trust Hitanshu and maybe he can push a rider another 500. After all I was on the road, he was chilling watching TV/hitting keys on his laptop. When the odo read 560 kms, I wanted to just…die…free my soul from my body…soar to heavens. Hail Hitanshu!! Actually, I wanted to kill him, shoot him.

I started getting sms’s from Suyash, Sathey and lots of BikeNomads. Navendu said, “Group is on fire." Sathey sms "500 kms, great going Captain! Beers on me.” With that kind of encouragement, man becomes invincible.

Dismounted, did some wild callisthenic exercises, plugged the ipod, played “Lord You Got To Keep The Faith!” full blast. Bon Jovie, man you is great! You is good people. Then, as the Lord is my Sheppard, found a truck doing an easy 30/40/50 kmph, who guided me to Hospet. Called Vibhu, (CEO, BikeNomads), told him all is well, 4 kms from Hospet…. 580 kms on odo…. asked a man for directions to Ranjana Hotel. “Saaar, Ranjana not here, Hampi, 30 kms more!” My hear sank…I was dead.

In the dark night, zero traffic, ipod for company, started seeing wild rocks, ruins, on the starlit twilight horizon. Entered an ancient rock like gate, atop a hill. Saw city lights. Stopped bike, dismounted, hit a fist in the air! Time check 22:30 hrs.

I knew…. I knew I had arrived HAMPI!

Looked at odo, 603 kms. 15 hrs on the road.

Post Script

I wrote Hitanshu's testimonial on Orkut this morning, it goes with this ride. It goes like this

Hitanshu Gandhi
"How do I define Hitanshu…. a hard core biking freak, a good team mate, a brilliant professional with sound academic background, a mentor, a good friend (notwithstanding an age gap of almost 30 years).

How do I define Hitanshu…. the man who kicked me hard to get on my bike and ride out solo, a distance of 603 kms from Pune to Hampi, a man who helped me redefine my riding, physical and mental endurance, riding 15 hrs a day and night on roads unknown.
Hitanshu helped an Old Man of the Sea to realise the spiritual highs of motor biking, to ride like a winning horse on fire.

He taught me much more.

Pranaam Dronacharya."

Captain Nandu Chitnis
BikeNomads
Headlights On

17 comments:

Hitanshu said...

Thou art the man. Thou art Gawd.

The spark that ignites the fuel is just that, a spark. A small and insignificant spark, when the real potential lies in the fuel itself :)

Its just your generosity that shines through the testimonial.

Niceties apart, buckle up for a 670km ride to Amdavad. Then will take you to the Rann :)

Nalin Bakshi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nalin Bakshi said...

Just one thing guys!
He is 55+.

How much can you do?

Photographer Pappu!!! said...

Hey Captain. Cool that you could manage 603 in a day,almost double the distance than your actual plan. I know I am too young to give you advice but do take care in future before stretching your limit. It could be dangerous :-)

Akhil said...

awesome.. 603 is amazing... congratualtions to ya.. and ofC the blog was a nice read... all the best for ur future endeavours..Ride Safe !!!

Nandu Chitnis said...

Hitanshu: The spark...yes...that did it.

Pravin: Will remeber that piece of advice.

Spidy: What n who deleted the comment above u? lol.

Akhil: Thanks you.

Hrishi said...

Touche'

Real nice post.

Cheers Capt'n...

Kam said...

Kudos to you Nandu! Well done :)

See you in Leh ;)

SKS said...

Congratulations on getting to your personal best.

Its only when a man is pushed he finds his true capabilities.

Wishing you more biking (s)miles :-)

Prashanth M said...

Whoa!! thats great going Captn.

Ride on...

me said...

What a man he is who at 56 makes blood rush through my 22 yr old veins. You r THE ONE, Captain.


"Forever trust in who you are...and nothing else matters" -Metallica

Aditya Bhelke said...

Thanks for writing out this journey... More inspiration for me to get my a$$ moving ..

http://365-days-photo-project.blogspot.com/

Christopher Keve said...

You are an inspiration!!

Pranesh said...

Hats off Captain... My longest trip in a day was about 620 Kms (Bangalore - Hyderabad)... But i did it when i was 24 (Less than half your age)... U r an inspiration to every1... Great going...

The Contrast said...

Too good Man...i am up for it :)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.