2008/06/17

SUZIE Q RIDES OUT WITH RON AND JENN
Final Part III

!! June 01, 2008: Ron Mathewson’s Birthday!!!

On the morning of June 01, 2008, I went to Harley Eastside, Bellevue to pick up Suzie Q. Ambarish take care of the paper work with Alex Astern.
Alex handed over Suzie Q to me. Since I had last ridden with her, Suzie Q had NOT been rented out. I was in touch with Ron on fone. He and Jenn were in Seattle taking delivery of their bikes, sorry Harleys, from Eagle Riders at Seattle.
Around 1100 Ronn and Jenn rolled down to 226th Street, PL NE. I was ready with by camera as the 2 Harley Beasts of Fortune roared alongside making a deafening noise in the neighbor hood as never before. Here on 226th street, you cant hear a thing except the wind blowing ……

Yes the answer my friend, was blowing in the wind, the answer was blowing in the Wind....

RON AND JENN WERE FINALLY HERE..

Ron Jenn


We the Chitnis family and Mathewsons exchanged pleasantries, I presented Ron with a BikeNomad tee and Jenn with TANTRA tees. She presented me with a New York Yankee Tee.
Ron immediately wore the tee and that fitted him very well. A few quick pics and we were

Ambarish the Route plan on a Map to Ron. Redmond>Duval>Manroe>Stevens Pass>Leavenworth., some 120 odd miles.
I made an observation to Medini “Jenn is so beautiful….”
Ron smirked and looked the other way. I said “Hey hey Ron, Man you look good too!”
Mr Ron and Jennifer Mathewson

Exactly at 11:00 hrs, we roared off, 3 Harley Monsters.
I was leading, Jenn center and Ron sweeping. The roads were nice and clear, the weather was holding out, but a bit chilly.
Off Monroe, Ron took the lead, Jenn center and me sweeping. Ron stopped the bikes at a Gas Station for a butt break.



The twisties started and Ron started ripping his Monster 1400 cc bike. He was taking the bends in style at high speeds. He is a Honda CBR man. Surprisngly, Jenn also started to rip and take the turns at high speeds, keeping up with Ron. I kept Suzie Q to my riding limits.

As we gained altitude at the Stevens Pass rapidly, the weather started to deterirate. It started to freeze and later fog reduced visibility to around 5 car lengths, some places even less.



The traffic from the opposite side was heavy, as tourists returning home from Leavenworth. Our side traffic was thin. It started to get colder the fog got thicker.
And then, the most unexpected happened. …suffice to say we got away with Nil losses, plenty of Profits, thanks to experiencetial learning from this incident.

I remembered Dr Arn Gupta’s Golden Words……

“Riding on unfamiliar roads on unfamiliar bikes…is asking for serious trouble..”
Dr Arnob Gupta, MDS
Bun Burner, Saddle Sore Rider
Iron Butt Assoc of USA


I will leave out the details for the time being. Jenn’s hands and fingers had started to freeze, no circulation no feel. We pulled over at a curb at the apex of Stevens
Pass. Her hands were white and yellowed. Took some 30 minutes for her to get fit again.

I relaxed Jenn. “Look Jenn, this is NOT going to happen again…so Ride as if you stole the bike…!! She smiled.

This time, Jenn lead the wolf pack, me center Ron sweeping. We had 30 miles to go.
Jen was riding at high speeds…I had a tough time keeping behind her …Ron had slowed down to a leisurely speed enjoying the breath taking views of the Stevens pass.



Once we started to ascend the weather cleared up beautifully. We arrived at Leavenworth.



I found a nice German restaurant for lunch. Ron ordered German home made beers all round, as legally permitted by Law




We were famished.

I ordered a nice big dish of Sausages and Greens.
To my horror, Ron said “Jenn we have home made Indian food waiting for us at the Chitnis’ residence, so lets not stuff up..” He ordered just one small sandwich, ripped it to half and that is ALL they ate! She did not protest one bit….and I, a small Desi, was eating like a Big American Harley Man and the Americans (Ron is lean, tall, a 6 footiya) were nibbling at half sandwiches! Complete role reversals!
Lunch eaten, we walked back to our Harleys ..here Jenn just lay down on the foot apth for a quick power nap!



The Ride home was going fine. We stopped for some pics at the beginning of the Stevens Pass.



Once up the Stevens Pass, was cold again. This time Jenn was lead, Ron center and I was sweeping iin a formation that DIN not allow any cars to pass us. And no cars honked or protested coz tis was 3 Harleys leading all the way. No one messes with Harley Riders in America.

Was a cold rainy windy ride. Jenn pulled up at a 100 years old Post Office cum Coffee restaurant. Gratefully, we went inside, warm and nice. The Coffee was great …only Riders know the value of each sip of hot coffee, what it means to be warm. Ron got his for free as I told the counter lady that it was his Birthday.





We headed out to Monroe…here I was in the lead with GPS in pocket with earfones. But the noise of Suzie’s engines drowned the voice of the GPS. I lost my way and we stopped to cross check the GPS. Done with that and Jenns bike would not start!

We decided to park her bike at a Vet hospital, locked and Jenn held my GPS in her hand riding pillion on Ron’s bike. Ron was feeling bad that we were now late to reach home. I assured him that this was an Emergency and the family will understand. ETA home was 20:30 hrs we made it at 23:00 hrs.
Oh sure the Chitnis Mafia was glad to have us all home. Ron enthralled them with the ride story….

I told Jenn and Ron…”Look a nice ride to Leavenworth and back makes for a boring trip log…..tis when you have incidents and rains, fog and cold winds, unexpected twists and turns, that makes for a great trip log…..We will remember this ride for a long time to come some years down the line.”

Few days later Ron sent me an email

“Captain -

Thanks for the kind words.

It was a crazy birthday for me. Your calmness made it and adventure. Without you it would have been classified a disaster!!”

12 comments:

Love LJ Joshi said...

great writeup! now i feel really low sitting in front of the computer and dreading work :(

Akhil said...

Great Ride Capt... i bet it must have been more than amazing... Kudos to you...

Nandu Chitnis said...

Hey Love thank you man...ur time will come...u is young

Nandu Chitnis said...

Akhil ...tis was more than amazing...

Was history in the making..

Amit Ved said...

Gr8 log captain....at an age when ppl think abt rest and relaxation, u think abt pushing it to the max...hats off to u...

Nandu Chitnis said...

Hey Amit...thanks a million...age is just a number...tis the fire tween the legs that causes bhps to increase exponentially

Zeenat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Zeenat said...

why is it that harleys, enfields break down so much? you remember the incident with doc's bike on our trip?

Nandu Chitnis said...

Enfields break down coz of poor quality contrls and lack of integrated engines..they now have a twin spark Thunderbird with an integrated engine, recently launched.

Docs bike: First ride was acclerater wire broke and second time was puncture.

Harleys and Enfields vibrate a lot and have high level decible noise that causes other problems. But buyers want it like that wonly...

Ritu said...

Great Ride ... tho I agree with Amit Ved - my adventures happen at a staid pace at my age ;) I am tipping my hat to you for your spirit

tiku said...

fabulas reading ..enjoyed the ride ..amazing ,you sure are an inspiration ..makes me wonder why we give up on our dreams at the slightest change in situations ,why we dont mould them to make them work for us ..?
made my boys go thru this one ..keep rocking ...

Nandu Chitnis said...

Tiku, Ritu...thanks for ur comments here...

What is age? Tis just a number..